Following a spectacular flameout of a performance moments before the ball dropped in Times Square last year, Mariah Carey is giving New Year’s Eve another chance.
The superstar singer, one of the best-selling recording artists of all time, will once again headline ABC’s “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest” on Sunday, Dec. 31, the network and Dick Clark Productions, announced on Friday.
The do-over, which may have seemed like a long shot given last year’s fiasco and the finger-pointing that followed, is also a way to cash in on the attention whipped up by the controversy. It is the television business, after all, where ratings are queen. And who doesn’t love a redemption story?
Ms. Carey, 47, was the final pre-midnight performer on the show as 2017 approached, but she bungled notes and lyrics as she appeared to struggle with her prerecorded backing track. Though she sort of salvaged a rendition of the 1991 hit “Emotions” by relying on the crowd to sing, her difficulties continued on the song “We Belong Together,” and she essentially gave up, allowing the recorded version to play. “I’m trying to be a good sport here,” she said at one point.
After the show, Ms. Carey’s team blamed the production company and said Ms. Carey could not hear her music or cues in her in-ear monitors. Stella Bulochnikov, her manager at the time, accused the show of sabotaging the performance “to get ratings.” Ms. Bulochnikov said “it was a disastrous production,” adding: “Mariah did them a favor. She was the biggest star there, and they did not have their” act together.